My article on using Wikis for project documentation has just been published on LLRX. I'm groaning now seeing some of the badly worded sentences in that article. I should never publish articles unless they pass through a copy editor or something. Anyway...
This article is intended for library staff who are looking for ways to capture internal process, procedure and project information. It describes the Wiki experiment I started in my organization over a year ago and the process of getting the Wiki organized, accepted and used by our staff.
I started the Wiki for my organization shortly after taking over the intranet site for our staff operations. The prior site consisted of manually maintained html pages. I intended to test the Wiki as an alternative for project-oriented documentation, but found that it made a good replacement for many of our modest documentation needs. I was simultaneously testing out some light content publishing systems as alternatives, but found that the Wiki was a better fit. This article attempts to offer our observations as users of the Wiki and provides some insight into how we attempt to keep the Wiki usable.
I wrote the article with the intention of helping other librarians who may be experiencing similar staff operations and project management pains but who may not have a large budget to invest in technologies to address these problems. I'm interested in hearing what others have done in similar situations, so if you have observations to speak of, please feel free to leave a comment here.